CONGRATULATIONS TO NNR’S LATEST PhD GRADUATE ADRIAAN JOUBERT
Dr Joubert reaches another milestone in his career – On the 21st of October 2016 Dr Adriaan Joubert graduated with a PhD in Environmental Sciences at the North West University making him one of the newest additions to the NNR cadre of PhDs.
Dr Joubert started his career in the nuclear industry at Necsa where he spent 14.5 years. He has since been with the NNR for more than 20 years. He began his studies at the Pretoria Technikon in 1983 and thereafter enrolled at the North West University where he completed his MSc degree with four distinctions.
He commenced with his PhD study in Environmental Sciences in 2012. In his thesis Framework and Regulatory Guidance to Perform and Review Radiological Public Safety Assessments for Mining and Mine Remediation Activities Dr Joubert addresses two challenges identified by the National Nuclear Regulator; the first being the quantification of the effects of authorised release of liquid and gaseous effluents from on-site operations and the second being the remediation of existing contamination, such as land radiologically contaminated as a result of historically unregulated actions. This study demonstrates the inadequacies in existing documentation and provides improvements in the terms of new regulations. A number of internal processes at the National Nuclear Regulator have or are currently being improved as a result. These processes include the development of a remediation framework, the development of acceptance criteria, the development of authorisation procedures and the development of a review guide.
- New chairperson of the NWU Council appointed
- NNR HOSTS THE 12TH STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING OF THE FORUM FOR THE NUCLEAR REGULATORY BODIES IN AFRICA (FNRBA)
- Congratulations and Welcome on board … Dr Margaret Mkhosi, Director Centre for Nuclear Safety and Security (CNSS).
- NNR REGULATORY PROGRAMME MANAGER PARTICIPATES IN IAEA EXPERT MISSION TO SUDAN
- CONGRATULATIONS TO NNR’S LATEST PhD GRADUATE ADRIAAN JOUBERT